Saturday 26 November 2011 at 1.30pm
The Cross Art Projects
Anne Higham, architectural historian for the Institute of Architects, works on the Institute’s Significant Buildings Register.
Architect Claud Hamilton designed and built many of the distinguished neo-classical dressed-brick flat buildings on Darlinghurst Ridge in Sydney.
The NSW Chapter of the Australian Institute of Architects has maintained a register of notable 20th century architecture since October 1949. This list is not exhaustive and much work remains to be done. A special sub-committee invites nominations for further entries and corrections to the listed entries. The Art Deco Society and Twentieth Century Society also contribute research to the Register.
Several of Hamilton’s grandest buildings are listed on the Significance Register: Savoy (1919), Regents Court (1926), Byron Hall (1928), Tennyson House and Lakemount (1933).
We are discovering more Hamilton buildings including Wirringulla (1927) and Kaloola (1927) in St Neot Avenue; The Tavern on Elizabeth Bay Road; Normandy House on Darlinghurst Road and, in the St John’s Church precinct, St Johns Flats (1916); Versailles (1926); Kenilworth (1920) and Victoria Garage (1923).
|Anne Higham talks on the Institute of Architect's Register of Significant Twentieth Century Buildings and Claud Hamilton. To her right is Don Hamilton, son of the architect, on the occasion of Claud's 80th birthday walk.|